Saturday, April 11, 2015

Charity Chosen

Here are the facts:

1. Choosing a charity is hard. There are, first of all, just so many. Which is a good thing, I suppose, for the world. But also makes it a tricky step in my decision-making process. There are also many (oftentimes false) reports of charitable organizations misusing their funding. In a world where money is instantaneously exchanged and frequently intangible, we're sometimes too willing to part with our hard earned scratch. But fear not.

2. I chose a charity! It's called Art Start, and it's lovely. And you'd be lovely to donate to it. Maybe that's not so much of a fact, but it's still important.

     Founded in 1991, Art Start brings art to impoverished and homeless youths in New York City. At-risk students, and those who live in shelters, on the street, or any kind of hardship are provided with opportunities that may seem very simple, but are incredibly life-affirming. Art Start's programs foster confidence, creativity, and hope, and, like many other charities, they are virtually unheard of. Such is the peril of such a saturated market.

3. On Monday, I'll be reading Shakespeare aloud for twenty-four hours straight! I'll be joined by some of my best friends in the world, as well as a whole mess of strangers. The event will be streamed live here for all of your viewing and ridiculing desires. I really want to thank Facing Page Productions for setting up this event once more, and for letting me tackle such an obnoxiously large chunk of their festival.

I'm not all up in your business on purpose;
it's a genetic condition.
So where does this put you? Well, you have a few options. Here are the ones I'd suggest: You could...

A) Donate. It's a wonderful cause, and charity fundraising is something I've never before attempted. If this is successful, maybe I'll try my hand at it more often, which would mean a lot more good for the world in the long-run. Consider this an investment. Plus, it's totally tax deductible! If you're a procrastinator, that could still be relevant for you! If not, well...I'll try and remind you next year. Deal? For choice A, click here.

B) Participate. If you're going to be in the area and aren't busy, you should sign up to read a play or two. You can say hi on camera or just sit with us and have fun. Either way, you'd better do it quickly. The marathon just started, but I'm sure there are still some choice roles available. For choice B, click here.

C) Support. Regardless of which you've chosen, thank you for even clicking on this link in the first place. Again, the market is saturated; not only with charity organizations, but with fundraisers, theatrical events, and definitely blog posts. It means a lot that you even took a moment to look my way. If you could share this on Facebook or tell a friend or anything, really, that'd be just above and beyond. For choice C...there are buttons below, I think. That's really the one that takes a bit more of your own prerogative. Take it to the Facebook.

Or, hey, pick all three and be a real champ. I've chosen that path. And Clyde and Nancy Delk have graciously donated. Thank you both so much. More love and praise than I could ever accurately express.

Good luck and godspeed to all the other readers that begin their journey tonight. I'll be joining you soon, and then entering the annals of legend. And giggling at the word "annals", but that's neither here nor there. In fact, forget I said that, ignore that. It's not funny. (It's funny)

I'm David Andrew Laws, and I can be reached by:
E-mail - dandrewlaws@gmail.com
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/dandrewlaws
Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidandrewlaws

And for more information, you can visit davidandrewlaws.com (Under Maintenance! But still active)

No comments:

Post a Comment