Thursday, April 2, 2015

First Step: Admittance

Seriously! I mean, $36? That's ridiculous! What, do I look like I was created from currency?

...g-...get it? It's "Admittance", like...like an entry fee....? Oh, wait, I'm thinking of admission. Or admittance, like how easily an electrical current flows, which just adds layers to the currency joke above...except that it doesn't. And we're off to a roaring start.

Guys, I have a blog problem. I love to create them, but I do so in the same way I keep journals: I'll start it, inevitably lose track of it, and no one will read it either way. This one's just less pink and flowery than the others. Er-....

I mean, manly. Manly bacon book.

But for whatever reason, starting a new blog, even temporarily, gives me a modicum of catharsis. It's an identifiable point on the path of my life where I could (theoretically) look back and say "Yup, that's where I got everything in order. Starting doing things on a daily basis. Stopped flashing people for spare change."

But none of my blogs have ever lasted, and I'm not expecting this one to, either. I'm definitely not expecting to update it daily, that's just too much pressure. Maybe I'll have one of those moments someday, or maybe I won't. Maybe I watch too many movies, which warp my expectations. Maybe too many movies watch me. Maybe my arguments start to get weird when I get defensive. Whatever. No, you watch a movie!

This is, in essence, my birthday reflection that I owed myself. I turned twenty-five back on March 20th, and it was a scary birthday for me. I've always worked twenty-five up in my mind to be, again, that cosmological turning point that...it just can't be. Or shouldn't be. That's not fair to the occasion or to myself.

I approached this birthday comparing myself to figures from the past. At age twenty-five (in the year of my birth, oddly enough), J.K. Rowling was conceptualizing the Harry Potter series. By twenty-five, David Bowie had produced five studio albums. Hell, Charlie Chaplin had already appeared in thirty-five films! Orson Welles was doing his whole Citizen Kane thing. Benoit Fourneyron invented a new type of waterwheel turbine! The waterwheel turbine, people!!

Pictured: Better than me.
But that wasn't, and isn't, a healthy way to go looking at things, because I'm not any of those people. I'm the guy who at twenty-five is the Artistic Director of a theatre company in New York City. I'm the guy who's written 154 sonnets and a (hilarious!) Sci-Fi play. I'm the guy who's in a YouTube video with over 22 million views. Please, Lord, don't let that be my fifteen minutes of fame.

Unfortunately, I'm also the guy who was just dropped by his manager, who hasn't gotten anything he's written published, whose theatre company is constantly in need of more money, *hint hint*, and who struggles on a daily basis to even get out of bed in the morning. Or early afternoon. Whichever.

There's still a lot that I want to accomplish, and maybe some of that will or won't get done while I'm twenty-five. Maybe some of it won't get done at all. But then maybe some of it I'll get done tomorrow. Or...well, no, probably not tomorrow, cause tomorrow's a Friday, but-...you get the gist.

The moral of this post is, I have a blog problem. But the blog problem is sometimes a Band-Aid (TM,  y'all) for the bigger problems. So if you're reading this and relating, feel free to let me know how you're dealing with things as well. Or not dealing. Dealing or Not Dealing, coming to literally everyone all the time.

I had also escaped the grasp of Facebook for a while, but returned for a variety of reasons. So a lot of people didn't realize my birthday had come and gone. Which sucked, because for a lot of people, that's the one time out of the year I hear from them. Thus, if you're realizing we haven't spoken in a while, feel free to wish me a happy belated birthday. Maybe it'll spark that one annual conversation we've missed. I'm feeling a distinct lack of platitudes in my day-to-day.

Either way, thank you all for reading, and supporting. I'm going to try to return to this blog in the future, but who knows? This could be the turning-point, or it could be a one-off. Really, only time will tell.



I'm David Andrew Laws, and I can be reached by:
E-mail - dandrewlaws@gmail.com
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/dandrewlaws
Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidandrewlaws

And for more information, you can visit davidandrewlaws.com (Under Maintenance!)

No comments:

Post a Comment